GLUTEN FREE EQUALS ENERGETIC LIFESTYLES
There is a LOT OF CONTROVERSY more than confusion about whether gluten is a real hazard to our health or not. And, there is more evidence and research done by physicians such as Dr. Axe, Dr. Mercola, Dr. Hyman, and Dr. Perlmutter, just to name a few, and all of them agree that:
a) gluten not only negatively affects a small percentage of the population that is officially “gluten-sensitive” or people that have Celiac disease, and
b) they all agree as well that gluten is affecting a very LARGE portion of the population with various inflammation and auto-immune related health problems that most people do not even realize.
I removed gluten from my lifestyle about 2 decades ago when Dr.Jass mentioned to me that my gluten intolerance was not that severe. However, if left unattended, gluten could possibly be causing the formation of “tiny holes” in my intestines, (the medical term might be leaky gut) from the chronic inflammation that gluten can cause. And, in addition, I could possibly be having nutrient deficiencies due to the fact that inflammation may be killing off the cells in my small intestine that are designed to control nutrient absorption. Therefore, knowing that I could avoid that domino effect of health issues, I decided to become agluten free advocate. Furthermore, if I was not to absorb my nutrients from my awesome natural food, then the lack of calcium and iron would have certainly lead me to osteoporosis and anemia. Then, at that point I thought, MY CHOICES MATTERS. And, I am a firm believer that anything I am putting in my mouth, I am either creating health or I am destroying it: EVERY BITE COUNTS….
Today, more than 20 years of awesome gluten free meals, I enjoy of an extraordinary good health and I am very happy to share all my sound nutrition. The challenge has been not to find gluten free man made edibles, but to find gluten free manmade healthy edibles. Therefore, you are for a treat because I will share my own gluten free recipes on this website.
Nevertheless the less, besides celiac disease and gluten intolerance, there are other medical conditions that greatly benefit from a gluten-free diet. Dr. Marios Hadjivassiliou of the United Kingdom, a recognized world authority on gluten sensitivity, has reported in the journal, The Lancet that “gluten sensitivity can be primarily and at times, exclusively a neurological disease.” That is, people can manifest gluten sensitivity by having issues with brain function without any gastrointestinal problems whatsoever. Dr. Hadjivassiliou indicates that the antibodies that a person has when they are gluten sensitive can be directly and uniquely toxic to the brain.
And Dr. Perlmutter in his books Brain maker: The power of Gut Microbes to heal and protect your brain for life and the Brain Grain Whole Life Plan: Boost Brain Performance, lose weight and achieve Optimal Health can clearly define that Gluten is in FACT OUR ENEMY FOR THE BRAIN and a leading cause to depression, dementia, anxiety, ADHD and intestinal disorders.
And last but not least, Dr. William Davis, author of “wheat belly 10-day grain detox book”, has reported amazing results: being able to reverse type 2 diabetes, shedding layers of dangerous visceral body fat that encases the organs, and revving up to super-charged energy levels. Therefore, indeed a gluten free diet equals to a healthier and energetic lifestyles.
So briefly what is gluten and where is it found?According to the Celiac Disease Foundation, “gluten is a general name for the proteins found in WHEAT (wheat berries, durum, emmer, semolina, spelt, farina, farrow, graham, KAMUT® Khorasan wheat and einkorn), RYE, BARLEY AND TRITICALE – a cross between wheat and rye. Gluten helps foods maintain their shape, acting as a glue that holds food together”.
Wheat is commonly found in:breads, baked goods, soups, pasta, cereals, sauces, and salad dressings
Barley is commonly found in:malt (malted barley flour, malted milk and milkshakes, malt extract, malt syrup, malt flavoring, malt vinegar), food coloring, soups, beer, Brewer’s Yeast
Rye is commonly found in:rye bread, such as pumpernickel, rye beer, cereals
Summary: 20 Benefits of Going Gluten-Free (extracted from Dr. Davis and Dr. Perlmutter books)
- Promotes digestive health
- Improves Mood
- Improves cholesterol levels
- Increases energy levels
- Reduces your risk of heart disease, certain cancers, and diabetes
- Promotes healthy weight-loss;
- Great improvement with inflammatory diseases and autoimmune disorders
- Diarrhea or constipation, headache, anxiety and fatigue are all symptoms that can go away adapting to a gluten free lifestyle
- Improves health of people with irritable bowel syndrome
- Improves arthritis issues due to inflammation caused by gluten
- Elimination abdominal bloating, gas and pain
- Improvements for people suffering from Crohn’s disease and those with lupus do feel remarkable well because gluten’s increased risk of inflammation.
- Due to inflammation as well, improvements with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia conditions
- Renowned neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, clearly states: “gluten carbs are destroying your brain”. “And not just unhealthy carbs, but even healthy ones like whole wheat grains are damaging our brains, leading to chronic headaches, depression, dementia, anxiety, ADHD and intestinal disorders”.
- Children’s hospitals and clinics of Minnesota reports that a gluten-free diet does seem to help with improvement in behavior, social skills, and learning in children with autism.
- A lifting of brain fog is also a common grain-free experience
- Enhanced Learning
- Reversal of Seizures
- Reversal of Neurological Impairment
- For many individuals, the benefits of a gluten free diet translate to a healthy an energetic lifestyle
GLUTEN FREE FOOD AND FLOURS MADE FROM THEM
List adopted from Dr. Axe’s website
The following foods are highly recommend to buy all organic, non GMO, after all, we are constantly cleaning our body from toxics and we don’t need any extra chemicals that can be detrimental to our health. Regarding nuts and seeds, a good practice is to buy them raw and organic and when possible sprout them. See my section about Sprouting
- Vegetables and fruits are far more nutrient dense
- Wild rice
- Indian rice
- Non-refined rice
- Yucca / cassava
Can you HEAL gluten-damaged intestines? Better yet, can you prevent from damaging your intestines with processed food and/or fortify your intestinal flora with good beneficial bacteria? If you need help understanding this material just contact us and we will be happy to assist you!
Here are a number of suggestions:
- Florify, it contains 10 billion colonies of acid-resistant flora from seven diverse strains to fully protect your intestinal flora and the capacity to be able to help HEAL and regenerate gluten-damaged gut-lining cells. Some of the probiotic strains includes, Lactobacillus acidophilus (which targets your small intestine) and Bifidobacterium lactis (which works in your colon). Florify also has prebiotic FOS (fructooligosaccharides). This prebiotic helps nourish the healthy bacteria in your digestive tract and encourages their growth. Thus, Florify helps balance and protect your digestive tract for better health and improved nutrient absorption.
- Fermentation, you can read on the section about it and learn how to make kefir. If you live in the United States, there is a good chance we can share the kefir bulgars with you.
And kefir is generally more powerful than yogurt in terms of both probiotic quantity and variety of strains and for these reasons kefir can have a powerful healing effect on the digestive system when used regularly because of the unique probiotics.
Kefir is also generally 99% lactose-free since the microbes consume most of the lactose in the fermentation process, making kefir one of the easiest to digest dairy products.
- If you go with the energetic lifestyles gluten free suggestion, and sporadically eat wheat based foods when traveling or without knowing at restaurants, carry with you Good Zymes this Digestive Enzymes helps you to enjoy the foods you love without the worry of digestive discomfort. Boost your digestive system and promote food and nutrient breakdown with this comprehensive 18-enzyme digestive blend.
- Perlmutter states that it doesn’t take too long to wipe out damaging gut bacteria, adding fermented foods rich in probiotics, including live-cultured yogurt, kefir, kombucha, tempeh, kimchi, sauerkraut, pickles and pickled fruits and vegetables. it can take as little as two weeks to make a change and restore the intestinal flora. See section about Fermentation
If you have questions and do not know how to start to change or improve your lifestyle, just contact us and we will be happy to assist you.