Our Choices Matter
There are two questions I’m asked very often:
1. Lucero, what do you eat?
2. Do your husband and children eat like you?
I am going to answer in reverse order, the answer to the second question, my husband eats healthy breakfast and dinner when he is around me that amounts to about 66% of his daily food consumption.And, for lunch, I see credit card statements for fast food near hiswork. And of my two children, Daniel, the youngest eats very healthy. Regarding me, for years everybody kept saying, Lucero is on a diet, and finally after 30 years or so, everybody realized that it is just my lifestyle.
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food. — Hippocrates, father of medicine, 431 B.C.
Jack LaLanne once said, “People don’t die of old age, they die of neglect.” and”Age is not a matter of years; it’s a matter of condition”And it is a perfect example of the truth of his own statement. He also said, “Exercise is King, nutrition is Queen, put them together and you’ve got a kingdom”
And, I can only add, it is never too late to start thinking about nutrition and exercise and to find the way to make it a priority in every one’s life. However, it is TOO LATE to wait.
Therefore, I just want to list some recommendations that have served me andmyparents (I changed their nutrition for their last 30 years and with the help of God, each of them got to live to age 97), and all my clients that have benefited one way or another of my sound nutrition.
6 fundamental causes that determine whether you are healthy or sick:
I. TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMOTIONS:
Emotions are by far the essence of life, how your body talks to you. Psychoneuroimmunology is the study of how emotions impact your immune system, health and well-being. Candice Pert PhD, Louise Hay, and Bruce Lipton PhD are pioneers in this scientific field of study
Thoughts create, not only in the sense that your thoughts motivate you to action, but also that every thought or feeling creates your state of health and well-being.
Here are just two examples:
I am studying a new curriculum called biological decodification, and from this book, I want to share two examples:
“An imbalance between your rational mind and your emotions will cause digestive upset, constipation, diarrhea or digestive disorders. That’s because your mental ‘digestion’ or assimilation process is mirrored by your body’s physical assimilation process”.
“Back pain reveals feeling a lack of support. Lumbar back pain points to lack of financial support. Thoracic back pain shows no emotional support or love. Middle back pain is carrying the weight of the past and also reflects feeling unsupported and overwhelmed by responsibility”.
Thus, health issues are the result of long-held negative emotions. Studies have shown that negative emotions actually weaken your body, while positive emotions strengthen your body. Shame has the most devastating effect, followed by guilt, apathy, grief, fear, resentment, anxiety, craving, anger, hate, and stubborn inflexibility.
TIPS ON HOW TO SAFELY RELEASE EMOTIONS, PRECISELY STRESS
- Pent-up emotions can be released through the feet. Take off your shoes and walk barefoot in the grass. Walk along a beach, especially an ocean beach or beside water falls where negative ions are released into the air by the moving water. Niagara Falls releases the largest concentration of negative ions on the planet! Negative ions are healing and emotionally uplifting. No ocean? Soak your feet in Epsom salts and hot water or have a Reflexology treatment!
- Smile, even if you don’t feel it. The act of smiling changes your body chemistry. You’ll suddenly feel happier! Laughter is also a great emotional release! Laughter releases chemical endorphins to make you feel happy and relaxed. Physical exercise, strenuous labor, or sports activities help to dissipate emotional energy and release it harmlessly. Physical activities trigger the release of endorphins to make you feel good. Exercise helps expel physical and emotional toxins.
- Breathe deeply! When you exert yourself, you breathe more deeply, getting added oxygen. People who are in emotional or physical pain tend to breathe very shallow. Your body becomes acidic when deprived of oxygen, which reduces your ability to cope with stress.
- Meditation is an ideal tool to achieve serenity and balance between your brain’s left and right hemispheres. Meditation directly opens you to wisdom and inspiration far beyond analytical modes
- Yoga is a mind-body exercise effective for reducing stress, anxiety and depression and improving brain function and mental health. Yoga is a practice of poses and breathing techniques designed to strengthen and balance the body and the mind.
I practice Aerial Yoga, it helps to move freely, with less effort, by counteracting gravity. Suspended Yoga strengthens core muscles and increases not only spinal but all extremities flexibility.
II. WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE:
The power of our word, according to Yehuda Berg: “Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble.”
When we speak we should speak with mindfulness, in a way to solidify peace and compassion in our characters. Not only do our words matter, but also the tone which we use has a huge impact. My mantra has been for years, I either do everything with Love, Gratitude, and Honesty or I do not do it at all.And I always say the truth is good enough.
I highly encourage everyone to have a journal of gratitude. Every single day, I write in my journal at least 3 things that I am grateful for. And what happens? Every day, I am attracting more of good things: great people, fitness enthusiasts, and people eager to learn what I am willing to share…..
III. FOOD, Our choices matter:
With every bite of food we are either creating health or we are destroying it.
ENERGETIC LIFESTYLES SHOPPING LIST, ALL ORGANIC, IF POSSIBLE
AND ALL GLUTEN FREE
(High Fiber, Law Glycemic) Arugula, Asparagus, Beets/Beet Greens, Bell Peppers, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Broccoli Rabe, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Celery,Cauliflower,Collard Greens, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Endive, Garlic, Ginger Root, Green Beans, Jerusalem Artichoke, Kale, Mushrooms,Mustard greens, Olives, Onions, Parsnip, Parsley, Peas, Peppers (all kinds), Pumpkin, Radish, Romaine Lettuce, Sea Vegetables,Snow peas,Spinach,Sprouts,Squash,Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnip, Greens Watercress, Artichoke,Zucchini
Apple, Apricot, Avocados, Banana, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Coconuts, Figs, Grapefruit,Grapes,Indian Gooseberry,Honeydew, Lemon, Lime, Mango, Nectarine, Orange, Papaya, Peaches, Pears, Pineapple, Plums, Pomegranate,Raisins, Rhubarb,Strawberries,Blueberries,Raspberries,Blackberries,Acai Berries,Goji Berries,and Watermelon.
NUTS & SEEDS RAW & ORGANIC, SPROUTS, OILS and VINEGAR:
Sprouted Almonds,Avocado, Alfalfa Sprouts, Sprouted Mung Beans, Sprouted Broccoli Seeds, Brazil Nuts,Cashews,Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Hemp Seeds, Hazelnuts, Macadamia Nuts, Pecans, Pine Nuts, Pistachios, Pumpkin Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Walnuts, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Unrefined Coconut Oil, Ghee, Grass Fed Organic Butter,Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with cultures.
SPICES & HERBS:
Basil, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Pepper, Cilantro, Coriander Seeds, Cinnamon, Cloves, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Mint, Mustard Seeds, Nutmeg, Oregano, Paprika, Parsley, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon, Thyme, Turmeric, Himalayan Salt.
Preferable Fermented drinks such as Kefir(see video) and Rejuvelac(see video), Almond Milk (made at home from sprouted almonds, see video), Coconut Milk (made at home see video) Cultured Whey (from cheese made at home, see video) Herbal Teas, Kombucha, Raw Vegetable Juices, Sparkling Water, Spring Water (or Filtered) Green and Red smoothies, (see recipes and video)
GRASS FED ORGANIC ONLY for Beef, Bison, Chicken (organic, free range, cage free), Duck, Eggs (organic, free range, cage free), and any wild game Lamb, Turkey, or Quail. Their pH is lower but at least those animals are being fed with pH balanced food and they are roaming under the sun (supposedly). Grass fed and free range meats offer many fatty acids missing in the Standard American Diet (SAD) such as: arachidonic acid, conjugated linoleic acid, and Omega 3 fatty acids.
IF THERE’S ONE FOOD OUT THERE TODAY THAT COMES WITH A MILLION MISCONCEPTIONS, IT’S FISH.Fish that live in low pH lakes and rivers contain higher mercury levels.Therefore, it is important to know which fish has less mercury and higher pH. If I consume animal proteins fish, I however, prefer plant based complimentary protein. The types of fish that are less acidic and low in mercury: (NEVER FARM RAISED) are Pacific or Alaskan wild-caught Salmon, Wild-caught Sardines, and Wild-caught Trout.
Note: Even if you eat fish regularly, you aren’t getting enough Omega 3 from the fish you eat alone to satisfy your body’s need for this essential fatty acid.Furthermore, fish are filled with nutrients beyond Omega 3, so if you are just taking a supplement and not eating any fish, you are missing out on a great source of protein, selenium, and vitamins B-6, niacin and B-12.It is really important that you choose a high-quality Omega 3- fish oil that does not contain traces of mercury. That said, if you are a vegetarian or vegan and you do not eat any fish, just make sure you are taking a really good quality multivitamin, plus your Omega 3, Fatty Acid supplements
Raw Cow’s,Goat’s,Sheep’s MILK, Raw Cow’s, Goat’s, Sheep’s YOGURT and Raw Cow’s, Goat’s, Sheep’s CHESSES. I teach how to make raw cow’s cheese (see cheese’video)
In Moderation, Raw Honey, geographically from your area and organic, Stevia, and Xylitol.
Red Wine, Dark Chocolate, at least 73% cacao.
EAT PLENTY OF RAW FOOD:
One of the most important aspects of a healthy diet is the issue of eating your food uncooked, in its natural raw state.Unfortunately, as you may be aware, over 90 percent of the food purchased by Americans are processed foods. And when you are consuming these kinds of denatured and chemically altered foods, it is no surprise we have an epidemic of chronic and degenerative diseases.Ideally you will want to eat as much raw food as possible and hopefully organic. And be aware, that even when you chose the best foods available you can destroy most of their nutrients if you cook them.
Sprouted Broccoli Seeds Sprouted Mung Beans Kefir – Fermented vegetables
BENEFITS OF EATING THIS WAY:
- Alkalizes your body: Your body should have an average pH of 7.36. A can of soda literally has a pH of 2.5 and it would take approximately 30 glasses of water just to balance things out. Green and Red smoothies (see recipe) help restore the body’s proper pH. All diseases including infections, Osteoporosis and Cancer thrive in an acidic environment. By alkalizing your body your cells can heal and regenerate at the highest level. The key is to eat 75/25 if possible, this is 75% alkaline as in fruits and vegetables and 25% low acidic as in grains, meat and fish.
- Hydrates your body: If we eat 75% alkaline as in fruits and vegetables, we are hydrating our body naturally. In addition, our water regimen protocol is half of body weight in ounces. I weigh 105 pounds. Therefore, if I divide 105 / 2 = 52.5 ounces of water requirement daily. And I highly recommend a system, in my case I have a “thermos” of about 17 oz. and then I know I have to drink 3 contents a day. And I chose not to drink any more liquids after 5pm.
- Optimum Nutrients: According to Dr. Axe “many of today’s illnesses are due to nutritional deficiencies. Most of the foods we eat today are processed and stripped of all vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and enzymes. This energetic lifestyle regimen slows the aging process, improves mental capacity, and increases energy levels”.
- Decreases Inflammation: Most diseases today are due to inflammation. Inflammation damages your cells and arterials walls and causes high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, and digestive disorders like Crohn’s disease to name a few. By reducing inflammation your body is better able to heal from any disease.
- Lowers blood glucose:Low glycemic carbohydrates in the forms of fruits and vegetables have high amounts of fiber, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help you clean your “terrain” which is your body. In other words, you are naturally detoxifying your cells. In addition, this energetic lifestyle, helps you age slower, improve energy levels, and lose weight. The key to lower blood sugar is simply: a) portion controlb) increase in both soluble and insoluble fiber, keep a healthy weight and waistline, with this regimen, pounds will automatically shed off. d) exercise(link to fitness and weight loss)on a regular basis.
- Eliminates Food Toxins: Toxicity has become epidemic in or society today and is a major cause of our increase in hormonal imbalance and autoimmune diseases. By eating unprocessed food, this energetic lifestyle regimen prevents, reverses and/or eliminates the majority of degenerative diseases.
- Know your Vitamin D: A level of 20 nanograms/milliliter to 50 ng/mL is considered adequate for healthy people. A level less than 12 ng/mL indicates vitamin D deficiency. Therefore, in the summer, allow yourself for some sun exposure, but protect your skin with sunscreen , that rejuvenates skin with natural vitamins and minerals, protects against harmful UVA and UVB sun rays, and prevents signs of premature aging. And if you have a deficiency, take a high quality vitamin D.
According to Dr. Mercola, “vitamin D, often referred to as the sunshine vitamin, is different from other vitamins in that it influences your entire body. Vitamin D receptors have been found in almost every type of human cell, from your brain to your bones, so its power to optimize your health is truly great. Just remember that vitamin D will optimize over 2,000-3,000 genes in your body or 10 percent of your total genes! It is not necessarily that you are born with a rotten deck of cards but rather your actions in life that allow your genes to be expressed. It is all about the expression or regulation of your genes that counts, not so much the actual genes themselves”.
Studies have shown you can decrease your risk of cancer by more than half simply by optimizing your vitamin D levels with sun exposure. And beyond cancer, researchers have pointed out that increasing levels of vitamin D3 could prevent numerous degenerative diseases throughout the world each year.
Limit Your Exposure to Toxins. For parents in general my advice is to go green gradually. Switch to eco-friendly household cleaners When you use green cleaners, you leave no toxic residue on surfaces, keep pollutants out of indoor air (household cleaners are a source of indoor air pollution and respiratory irritants), and avoid accidental poisonings! There are now many wonderful, effective eco-friendly cleaners in the market, so I consider this a pretty easy switch. From kitchen cleaners, bathroom and laundry, cleaners.Say goodbye to caustic chemicals and enjoy peace of mind instead as you fill your home with better and safer, eco-friendly products.
Use fewer and less-toxic personal products . Although most consumers believe the U.S. government regulates the safety of personal care products, the sad truth is that personal products (a.k.a. cosmetics) are among the least-regulated products in the market.You can convert your beauty regimen and enhance your skin’s natural look with safer beauty products, designed to protect, care for, and nourish your skin, keeping you looking your very best.
The benefits of exercise (link to fitness) are staggering, and if you think you can achieve or maintain optimal health without it, you are deceiving yourself. Here are just10 examples of cardiovascular and weight training benefits.
Cardiovascular Exercise Benefits JUMPING ROPE
- Help to sleep better
- Reduce blood pressure3. Increase HDL cholesterol
- Improve digestion
- Improve bone density
- Improves resistance to fight infections
- Decrease resting heart rate
- Improve productivity and self-image
- The body accumulates 30 to 40% more energy by creating an active lifestyle
- Reduction in glucose-stimulated insulin secretion
Weight training benefit (see exercice 4×4)
- Improves physical appearance and mental attitude
- Maintains ideal weight without fat
- Improves glucose metabolism
- Reduce coronary risk factors
- Increase muscle strength and endurance
- Improves blood lipid levels
- Reduce the chances of Osteoporosis
- Relieves arthritic pain
- The relationship between fat and lean muscle is improved
- 80% of back problems are muscular in nature and seem to be avoidable by strengthening the back and abdominal muscles
Adapted from the American College of Sport Medicine’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription.
Why Is Sleep Important?Sleep plays a vital role in good health and well-being throughout your life. Studies show that sleep deficiency alters activity in some parts of the brain. If you are sleep deficient, you may have trouble making decisions, solving problems, controlling your emotions and behavior, and coping with change. Scientists have also discovered that sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke.
As recorder in my exercise watch,
Note: Not only the amount of sleep of 7 to 9 hours in adults matters, but also the quality of sleep is important. When our sleep is interrupted or shortened, we may not have spent enough time in certain stages of sleep. In other words, how well you have rested and how well you function the next day will depend on the total time you have slept and how much of the different stages of the dream you have achieved.
My recommendation is to monitor your own sleeping patters and the quality of rest. In the past, my sleeping patters were an area of concern, and I never did anything about it. It was until last Christmas, my husband gave me a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ and then I began to pay close attention to my sleep. It took me a while to discipline myself. But, finally, I learned that my sleeping patterns are as important as my other areas of health and today, I enjoy of a good quality sleeping time. And each morning I examined the quality of sleep I had the night before and I find it quite amazing that we have such a technology to help us monitor it.
Always remember that a healthy lifestyle is your best option to create a healthy body and mind and to increase your longevity. Our choices and decisions matter, you can shorten your life or you can extendit. You can take control of your own health, educate yourself and make better and healthier decisions. Start by becoming aware of what you think, say and do, knowing that true health begins with making changes, and be open to them. Listen to your body and follow your path of great nutrition. You have plenty of guidance here.
If you have questions and do not know how to start to change or improve your lifestyle, just contact us and we will be happy to assist you.